Monday, August 10, 2009

strange fruit


'Buddha's hand'...one of the more unusual fruits I've come across. I bought this wonderful specimen from a market in Brunswick Heads a few months ago and it never made it into my kitchen as it was the curious subject of a few drawing classes. It has a lemon fragrance and can be used in cooking by grating the skin... which is not unlike the skin of a lemon as we know it.I'd like to know more about this fruit!



I just noticed this painting below by Wendy Van der Drift when visiting some new blogs this morning. Ceramic artist Shannon Garson's blog Strange fragments featured Wendy's painting of this remarkable fruit which I only recently came across for the first time..


I have included this image from Shannon's Blog where she was preparing at that time for the July, 09  Australia Ceramics Triennale.


2 comments:

Yvonne Anderson said...

This is truly the most strangest fruit I have ever seen! Bizarre!

Sophie Munns said...

Its is very exotic Yvonne I admit! It is a great subject for the artist and I do love the excellent painting Wendy has done.
Its so rare that if youv'e never seen one its hard to believe it's edible!
thanks for the comment!
Sophie