Tuesday, November 17, 2009

an invented lexicon of symbolic images

Ky Anderson is an artist I found awhile ago now and wrote to as I was interested to post some of her images which I found strangely haunting yet familiar. She wrote a lovely note back, then time passed. However I kept coming across the images I'd saved and thought I must share them. Its been a busy, busy week but as it's hot here I am having a quick spell in front of the fan whilst posting this before I head back out again! 35 degrees C is not that hot...but it's a change from perfect spring days and suddenly the temperature climbs and you remember that summer in the sub-tropics is here again...best to get used to it! These paintings however make me feel cooler and carry me into a different space altogether. The website contains many more images and here is also an interview from the Emerson blog I found under news on Ky's website. Viewing images one after the other on the website was like reading another language which you feel you can almost remember...its there in the back of your mind...you can sense it...but you are struck mute and just have to sit with the work. I like this!



Many Colours - 2008 Oil on Canvas  -click to show full image


4 comments:

Janis said...

These are wonderful - Sophie, you find the most amazing artists! The symbols and colors really draw me in...beautiful.

Sophie Munns said...

They are intriguing I think. Glad you liked them Janis.
Loved your post on loved books!
best,
S

Caterina Giglio said...

wonderful and ancient symbols, just fascinating!

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks for visiting La DV!
fascinating indeed...and wonderful.
best,
S