Wednesday, February 17, 2010

a temporary but wonderful new studio


About 10 days ago I put the word out I was seeking a studio and was delighted to be offered an excellent temporary space at the home of a wonderful couple with a permaculture garden to die for and something else in their back garden which made me really smile. Shelves...so often hard to come by...I got lucky here and was able to unpack straight on to these great  shelves. Settled in no time I worked on paper and in journals as I am doing research at this stage and developing ideas for work to come.


Yes...its a naturally landscaped pool...and given the humidity of late its been such a tonic to swim about for a while to cool down. I was able to spend 4 solid days getting back onto work after my recent NZ break. Its also a bonus to have on hand  someone with a green thumb with a background in organic and permaculture gardening who is actually growing many edible plants including some indigenous species of great interest to me at present due to the project I'm doing on seeds* - presently concentrating on what is native to this region.



Being Queensland of course there are pineapples growing in this garden.

HOMAGE TO THE SEED* is the title of my project this year as Artist-in-Residence at Brisbane Botanic Gardens.

12 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

what a fabulous manifestation! it looks divine and the garden is wonderful. is that your sketch book? awesome!

Sophie Munns said...

hello La Caterina!
I think you are right about the manifestation ...divine at that!
You have no doubt seen signs of my swimming pool fascination... I do get entranced by moving water, colours, play of light and also the sensuality of it all...perhaps its the way one leaves the thinking realm and enters a fluid universe that invites reverie and a different form of reflection.
I just know its compelling!
Oh...and it hot here... so what better to distract on from that! It may be temporary but is is in fact a little bit of heaven!
That is my sketchbook from last year actually ...just started a new one last week!
Nice to have you pop in tonight!
see you,
S x

Altoon Sultan said...

Your new studio looks heavenly...and to be surrounded by such a garden! and a pool! All the lushness of growing things surrounding you, here and at the Botanic Gardens, will certainly be a great inspiration.

Sophie Munns said...

Lovely to read your comment Altoon!
When I was offered this space for a month or two I was so delighted...enough time to get me going...and to take in the surrounding garden - plenty to discover. Even 3 chooks to check on this weekend I f I am caretaker! Great inspiration indeed!
S

Nicola Moss said...

Great space Sophie, have fun.

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks Nicola...
with a little less humidity this week...the work certainly comes easier.
cheers,
S

Unknown said...

Wow!!! What a great find :-)
Congratulations - its perfect!

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks Karen...
It was so wonderful to go there today and find the weather deliciously cooler - so much easier to settle into work.
Fabulous weather just now in this city of ours...
hope you are up to some interesting things yourself over there!
ciao,
S

Unknown said...

Sophie !

congratulations with a new studio ;Looks great , and I hope you hav many artproject going on.
B. Liv

Sophie Munns said...

Thank you Liv....
loely comments...and yes...quite busy...hope things are very good with you...lots of creative productivity!
S

em said...

what a nice space, and it seems to have good light, too! why is it only temporary?

Sophie Munns said...

Nice to hear from you Em!
I noticed you have read the next post where i answer that question!
ciao,
S