Tuesday, May 4, 2010

a chance to unwind...













This fascinating vine-like growth - orange above and yellow green below - was used in basket weaving by indigenous people. This was found in the bush beside the ocean. The name I will rack down later.


The sign here next to the beach is a useful warning for obvious reasons but also keeps many from wondering onto the fragile sand dunes.... something the locals who work on caring for this fragile strip hope for. 


Close to the beach was a market on Sunday - where I came across this delightful stall selling clothing.



Visiting an artist living near this wonderful beach on the weekend just gone was a reminder I now live in a subtropical region and the coast and rainforest areas leave quite an impression. The work below was painted (if memory serves me) 30 years ago when the artist Vicki and young family were living in this beautiful region of the Atherton Tablelands in northern Queensland. This watercolour was framed and under glass - hence the distracting light in the centre - as if the sun were coming up in the distance! I was struck by the detailed vines and growth of the tree. A vvid story accompanied this work of the time past when one could set up camp beside the water without breaking any rules and needing facilities of any kind.




This watercolor image above on paper was from the same time whereas the image below is a recent work - and after walking in that area near the beach this both recalls that walk and the past almost dream like imagery. In the growth you can see blue quandongs, a native fruit. The photo does not do justice here to the details and colours found in this work. 


And now to lunch for 3...


Vicki in her kitchen preparing a delicious fresh salad. 


Lunch in the garden...







...Just one of the enjoyable moments of a weekend of meeting people and seeing new places.  More photos to come...

11 comments:

Altoon Sultan said...

It looks like you had a lovely trip. I especially love seeing that wild dense vining stuff, which looks like someone's densely matted hair.

r.bohnenkamp said...

Hi Sophie,
When one sees the beautiful photos can be very jealous. ;-)
nice greetings, Ralf

Trace Willans said...

dodder laurel?

Sophie Munns said...

Altoon... it was a lovely few days that took in a number of different areas with the beach stay a most relaxing one and the artist at home a most hospitable host.
I will ask about the vine - the suggestion from Soewn earth I do not know about.
S

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Ralf,

Thats funny... I know the feeling some images can inspire ... deep longing!

...some of those people lying on those beaches in this country would be daydreaming about a trip down the Rhine, or a visit to special places in your country.
There was a great cafe called Baked Poetry near this beach run by German people. I had coffee and looked at their excellent edible creations wondering how they find living here in a very humid climate making that wonderful heavy bread and all the specialties.

Best wishes...
good to hear form you!
Sophie

Sophie Munns said...

Soewnearth,
will definitely have to pursue the name of that!
thanks for leaving a lead!
S

em said...

hi sophie, that post is a vacation all in itself! a fabulous place (was the water warm?) beautiful art and great looking food. your photos are amazing here! the lighting in the kitchen shot, how did you do that? wonderful work!

Sophie Munns said...

Em,
a vacation you no doubt crave! Hope you are feeling better!!
The water was lovely although I must admit to having fallen asleep for a few hours of planned beach time for swimming and lazing about!
The air and good hospitality had the effect of allowing me to really unwind... a little too well!
Im goof with the Mac iphoto buttons is all I can say re the lighting in my kitchen still life!
Glad you enjoyed the painting... reminds of a fecund fantasy world... except it is/was really there! Will pass on your comments to Vicki!
ciao,
S

Sophie Munns said...

Soewnearth...

I googled Dodder Laurel and both the image and description look like you may have nailed it.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction.

By the way ...your buttons are fabulous... what a great approach you are taking with your work!
best
Sophie

Trace Willans said...

Glad you like the buttons, I am back in the studio today doing the next step. I only know about the Dodder laurel because Sandy Elverd told me about it when I saw her using it for basket making and asked about it as we have it on our property in the South of Western Australia. I don't understand the reference to talking about seed saving that you left on my blog though? Not much of that here as I am in a flat in Tassie with five pot plants and the only seeds I save are avocado pips for their colour.
Trace

Sophie Munns said...

Hi Soewnearth - or Trace,
Love the buttons and the way they are made....
MY friend told me this one was used for basket weaving by the aborigines so ... sounds like we are talking about the exact same thing... and it grows on sand dunes...
Since being at the Botanic Gardens talking with people whose job it is to identify plants I am cautious...
On your blog Trace 'About me" says earth lover, seed saver, mark maker, reader, food lover.
I took that literally I'm afraid... and because I am gathering seed stories and you were doing what you do...earth-wise... i made a leap of imagination...
not to worry...
thanks for getting back to me,
Sophie