Monday, May 7, 2012

Mark-making at Bunya






When I was told about a 4 day workshop at Bunya last year I had not heard of the visiting Canadian artist who would be leading this workshop. I picked up the message from the host that it was a not-to-be-missed event and gladly paid a deposit then preceded to get distracted with things till the call out came this year and I found online links. 

Nothing however could have prepared me for the 4 days of teaching I have just experienced at the home and garden of gracious host Roz who brought the wonderful Dorothy Caldwell to Brisbane to present her 'Human Marks' workshop.

I've assembled the following photos as a snapshot of the 4 days... but I will post more at the studio blog soon as I wish to link to Dorothy's work and also her friend from South Australia, India Flint, who was here as well and will be doing a workshop this week at Bunya plus a book talk at the Brisbane City Library on Friday evening at 5.30pm and a showing of her work next day at Bunya.






The first day was filled with lively mark-making processes...  some centred around the garden.





I was delighted to meet with various one's Ive met online or in person before as well as a number of new faces. The large works above were done in the garden with brushes on long sticks... free gestural works.

The one just above was by Tracy whom I took awhile to realise was a blogger I had been on contact with at Soewn Earth. I'd only known her as T from Tasmania...and this person at the workshop was Tracey from Western Australia... so I was seriously surprised to recognise her as T, find she had moved to WA and that of course I was already familiar with her wonderful work!






Dorothy Caldwell


I used this leaf for one of my tasks... loved the unusual shape.


Stitching was a big feature of the workshop and one I loved given it is all too rare I get to use a 
needle and thread these days despite having grown up surrounded by fabrics and threads.



making pages... 


tables full of book making materials




afternoon on the third day... a quiet but contented lot!


the first book I put together


last day... pages ready for the next book. This is a collection of pages from a number of the group.









Dorothy gave us presentations each day on the elements that 
make up her practice and the inspirations for our tasks.



Work above by the inspiring Imbi Davidson whom I've written about before... it was great to catch up again... above is her process for assembling her book. I'll be sure to post on her upcoming exhibition in a couple of months time.



I sat next to the inspiring Sandra... lover of all things textile, flamboyant, quirky etc good conversations flowed. Will be linking when S gets her blog up...! Note green sequins in her hand... looking forward to seeing much more from this talented woman!



Small books that were our first effort


so much inspiration from Dorothy and everyone in the group... 
14 people in all!


Kellie was so inspired by India's class some years back that she is now 
studying full time... this was her table above ...so much good stuff going on!

below: pages from books...














The last 6 images are from Imbi's book... I wrote this 
post here on a painterly session with Imbi last year!

Dorothy Caldwell at the end of the 4 day workshop.



Shall pop back in with more links as promised...

If ever you get the opportunity for a workshop with Dorothy its an utterly unique opportunity for engaging in multi-dimensional thinking... I really loved that there was such depth in her approach...  incredibly warm, human and encouraging yet stretching nevertheless to consider many fresh ways of working. 

Her capacity to offer input was so subtle and yet significant... much to think on indeed. I am sure many who also attended have been musing today on what came form this hugely enriching 4 days. I'm also extremely grateful to Roz and family for the gift of excellent hospitality and organisation.... and I;m ever so glad to take away many rich memories and conversations to cherish!


Now back to painting Dna images for a few days... the fascinating thing was that I worked so much in black and white at the workshop... not unlike the graphic work of the previous week!

Hope your week is wonderful... deadline here so its a busy time for sure! If I am not managing to visit you will know that I am madly painting for the 18th of May!

33 comments:

maryandpatch.blogspot.com said...

Wooaahh! The workshop looks fantastic! How lucky!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

OMG I wish I was there! This looks over the top fabulous! Thanks Sophie!

Sophie Munns said...

It was amazing Mary... I felt I had to download these images and post here today to keep the ambience going before heading off to paint!

You'd have loved it Leslie... right up your alley as a mark-maker! It was a brilliant experience and time spent with people from everywhere... NZ, US, different parts of this country...!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! This does indeed look like a wonderful workshop! And the images of the work produced are utterly intriguing... so much good, inspirational stuff!

Sandra Robinson said...

This workshop looks absolutely amazing, love all the free mark making,I feel inspired just reading about it.

Velma Bolyard said...

what a grand opportunity to stretch and breathe deeply into mark making.

Penny said...

I did a workshop with Dorothy in Ballarat last month. Absolutely wonderful, such a lovely person.

Lorie McCown said...

Wow, a post with Imbi, Dorothy and India all in it, what a creative vortex. I'd backed off workshops a lot lately, but I'd have jumped at this one in a heartbeat!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Sophie you won't be surprised to read that this post has blown me away. I only came to know about Dorothy a few months ago but now I want to see more! I adore those small books you all made, just so tactile and what a joy to make them with an inspired group. Can't wait to see the post on the studio blog and where this will take you....those fingermarks make me want to go and do the same!

Valerianna said...

Well, THIS post has me gripping the chair to keep on the task of the day instead of running out to the studio!
Beautiful, rich and inspired work from everyone. Also sounds like you had an amazing group of students!

Missouri Bend Paper Works said...

Stunning work generated....I wish I'd been there...you all had a fantastic time! Thanks so much for sharing the experience! -P.

Lari Washburn said...

Sophie! Incredible work! I've wanted to take this class from her ever since going to Haystack and hearing about her. I've looked her up and it seems like the classes are far from me...but I would still love to do it. Do you have a reliable website or email address? You can email me at lari@lariwashburn.com if you want to. Anyway, congratulations on the beautiful work you did! And think of what you will be doing!

Janis said...

Sophie, what beautiful work. Such an atmosphere of inspiration - just like your blog is for me. This is a gift... xo

Anonymous said...

OMG this is all so amazing. Using the body as your tool brings such energy to the works. The stitching sublime. I want to go play with charcoal and ink on my fingers now. xox

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Enchanting...WOW! Every photo speaks of the dynamic work being produced from the simplest of marks. I too wish I had been were there!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this sophie. it wonderful!

Carole Reid said...

Sooooooooooooo jealous! Love the work you all created. Lucky you.

Caterina Giglio said...

yes, I have heard of her, but i have never seen such great photos of her workshop, just drooling over the work you all did, and loving the marks, if I get the chance, I will take her class! awesome... xo

Sophie Munns said...

Suzanne,
Sandra,
Velma,
Penny,
Lori,
Valerianna,
Lesley,
Patti,
Lari,
Janis,
Corrine,
Carole,
Caterina,
MaryAnne,
Nance,
thankyou all for wonderful remarks. Thought there would be those, who like Penny, have had first hand experience or at least have known of or followed Dorothy's work.

It took me so long to download my photos yesterday morning from two cameras...then resize many for posting that when it came to doing the post I ran out of oomph and didn't mention others who attended like Encaustic teacher Trish Baldwin from Seattle and so on.

I like to be thorough and link to everyone...so finding time to do all that was beyond my powers yesterday.

Also in offering this series of images I didn't want to give away how-tos that are part of Dorothy's unique knowledge...so I hope that I have done justice and merely supplied a taste rather too much info if you know what I mean.

I may post more on this... I want to think some more on what was so important about where we were taken by Dorothy. I didn't take notes but rather let myself be taken on a fluid meandering journey instead ...
priceless.

May your week be a good one!
S

Jo Reimer said...

Incredibly wonderful work. And may I say that I so appreciate your remark in the last comment about not giving away Dorothy's how-tos which would undermine her work as a teacher and artist. I appreciate your integrity about this.

Sophie Munns said...

Thanks JO...

often I get worried when posting... esp if using a lot of images... just how well substantiated or credited things are. There are some images that have got to be credited still I know... despite them all being from my camera.

I always hope people will write and say if something is of concern... but I try to save myself from that embarrassment in the first place.
I will be sending this link to Dorothy herself since it has inspired so much commentary and she may well advise on it as it is likely to be looked at over again whilst ever it remains online.

Thanks for discussing this Jo!
S

ronnie said...

ooooo WOW (in every way!)

I love the work/play from everyone - but I'm amazed that there were so many familiar (bloggy) names/friends - Trace, india, imbi..... woo hoo what a crew!

ahhhhhhh now THAT'S something I really wish I could have been at.... look forward to seeing/ hearing more from the other characters! - and what work eventuates (mmmmmmmmmmBOOKS!)

Unknown said...

What a great workshop this must have been. Sophie once again you have posted a wonderful blog. Regards Meagan

Sophie Munns said...

Hey Ronnie...
familiar names...yes! There might have been more you knew had I got round to listing everyone in attendance...
yes...books... you'd have been in your element! Hope all is well in your world!
S



Hi Meagan... lovely 4 days which have lest their mark on me and felling most inspired! Want to get into the paintings I'm working on here currently in the same spirit I experienced on the weekend!
cheers,
S

mansuetude said...

a truly wonderful journey some very beautiful work.

Jennifer said...

Oh! What fun you had! I took Dorothy's A Book of Marks workshop back in 2006 and it changed the direction of my art. I've been wanting to take another ever since. She's a wonderful teacher - always ready to share info, make everyone comfortable and challenge you at the same time.

india flint said...

it was indeed a remarkable, gentle and wonderful class.
wish i hadn't missed the first day...

Maggie said...

What a fabulous workshop Sophie! Lucky you! Thank you so much for sharing, it's an inspiration, I had not heard of Dorothy before!

I love the work done, the long sticks project especially:)
Then to make al that great material into handmade books! Ah, must have been Bliss!

cleo said...

looks like that was an incredible workshop. beautiful work.

ArtPropelled said...

I typed a hefty comment over a week ago but I must have made it disappear.... Oh drat! The gist of it was I would have loved to have been there. Such a yummy workshop!!!

Christine said...

Oh how I wish I could have been there. Thank you for sharing the photos of all the marks, stitches and books. I had a 2 day class w/Dorothy here in Cleveland in December. It was heavenly.

Sophie Munns said...

How lovely that visitors have continued to respond to the wonderful class with Dorothy...
thanks to all... I will comment soon but for now back to the task at hand...
best to you all!
S

kath / AliaK said...

wow, such beautiful work. the workshop looks amazing. thanks for sharing pics+words about it